Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Diabetes Blog Week Day 3

I missed day 2... but on to day 3.

Today we’re going to share our most memorable diabetes day. You can take this anywhere.... your or your loved one's diagnosis, a bad low, a bad high, a big success, any day that you’d like to share.

This is a hard one.  I have many good and bad memorable times with diabetes.  One of my most memorable days was the day that I was diagnosed, but I have already written about that.  The next memorable day that I can think of was the day that I got my insulin pump.  I have a Medtronic Minimed Paradigm Insulin pump.  I have had a pump for a little over 10 years.  I have gone through about three of them since then I think?  I remember the day that I got my first one.  I was in 9th grade and I remember leaving my geography class to go meet with my diabetes educator at the hospital.  She showed me a lot of the features of the pump and how it worked.  She then had me insert my first site and I wore it for a couple of days with saline so that I could get used to wearing it before putting insulin in it. The first time I had to insert the site I was terrified! It took me like 20 minutes to push the injector button.  It was amazing to be able to be so flexible about when and how much I ate.  I also loved not having to schedule my life around taking my long acting insulin shot at 10 p.m. every night.  It's funny how such a little machine can change my life so much.  Now I still do get frustrated with my pump from time to time.  It gets pretty annoying to be connected to something ALL THE TIME! In fact we call my pump "little brother" because it always seems to be in the way...  But, I have to say that it is worth the bad times for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment